Sunday, October 01, 2006
When I see someone smoking I always think of the health risks they are taking. Same with someone drinking, or if someone was doing drugs. Obviously the health risks come to mind.
But if someone is overeating I'm thinking they are just enjoying a really good meal. Most of the time we laugh about how much we eat and don't think of the consequences as all that serious.
But they are serious. I saw this list online today of the health risks associated with obesity. Since I need to loose about 60 pounds, I'm sure I'm classifed as obese and not just "overweight" even though I hate that word.
Here is the listing:
Below, we have listed the diseases and health problems associated with excess weight. Please keep in mind that these health risks increase even more as the severity of an individual's obesity increases.
* Angina Pectoris
* Bladder control Problems (such as stress incontinence)
* Cholescystitis and Cholelithiasis
* Cancer (endometrial, breast, prostrate, and colon)
* Complications of Pregnancy
* Congestive Heart Failure
* Coronary Heart Disease
* High Blood Cholesterol (Dyslipidemia)
* High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
* Insulin Resistance, Glucose intolerance
* Obstructive Sleep Apnea (interrupted breathing during sleep) and Respiratory Problems
* Osteoarthritis (wearing away of the joints)
* Poor female reproductive health (such as menstrual irregularities, infertility, irregular ovulation)
* Psychological disorders (such as depression, eating disorders, distorted body image, and low self esteem)
* Type 2 (non-insulin dependent) Diabetes
* Uric Acid Nephrolithiasis
The article also stated that the loss in self-esteem was sometimes the hardest one to deal with.
I find when my self-esteem is lost, my hope is lost, and I often give up and just find myself standing still never loosing weight or going forward.
I have to find self-esteem in something besides my appearance. I'm a good mom, a good wife, and a good friend. In time I'll find the strength to keep fighting this weight battle and get myself healthy so all these risks won't be my risks anymore.