Friday, April 09, 2010
I am trying to improve on my blogging so today I decided maybe I could help someone else if I shared some of the things that have helped me be a SP success story:
Here are some things that have worked for me
1) I started out taking baby steps. Small goal(s) ~small steps toward them. For example: my first exercise goal was to walk for 15 minutes 3 times a week. Then I just added more goals and time spent as I went along. I did not go from 0 to 100 overnight!!
2) I started looking for new recipes. And I was only interested in a recipe that had the nutritional values included or it was simple enough to input into SpartkPeople's recipe calculator. I discovered that in addition to SP's great recipes, I could also get free ones from www.eatingwell.com; and www.bhg.com. All free - most with nutritional values. All healthier than most of the millions of recipes I have saved over the years!! SP figured out what my daily intake of calories, fat carbs etc.. should be so all I had to do was find recipes that helped me stay in within those guidelines.
3) I was already buying some of my food from a company called Schwans - which is a home delivery service that has been around since I was a kid. I discovered that they offer a line a food called "Live Smart" which is healthier than the rest and also has all nutritional values with it. Several items are already pre-packaged such as the boneless, skinless chicken breast and some low fat low cal desserts. I started ONLY buying "Live Smart" items. Which by the way - most are VERY VERY good. I do spend a little more than at the local grocery store - but I was buying from them before I changed my life - and I now realize that my husband and I are worth the little extra anyway!
4) Buying a Wii and WiiFit game was the best money I ever spent. It makes me want to get up and move everyday. They have lots of fun games and I don't care what ANY ONE says - I wear a heart rate monitor and I CAN burn calories... I CAN keep my heart rate up... and I CAN lose weight! And - I use it EVERY day!
5) I found that telling others about my goals will keep me accountable. I spent years letting myself down - but heaven forbid I would let YOU ALL down. At any rate - it works for me!
6) The nutrition tracker is my best friend. It is very hard to gauge what my daily intake is if I don't take the time to track it
Maybe some of the secrets of my success can help someone else.....