"I believe the single most significant decision I can make on a day-to-day basis is my choice of attitude. It is more important than my past, my education, my bankroll, my successes or failures, fame or pain, what other people think of me or say about me, my circumstances, or my position. Attitude keeps me going or cripples my progress. It alone fuels my fire or assaults my hope. When my attitudes are right, there is no barrier too high, no valley too deep, no dream too extreme, no challenge too great for me." - Charles Swindoll
I'm going to tell you the secret to a positive attitude:
Waiting for Life to hand you money, or the right job, or true love, or anything else, usually amounts to just that: waiting. If you're going to change your circumstances, you have to start now. Set goals, make a plan, and take the first step - creating a positive attitude.
1) Make a deliberate choice to seek the 'good' in any situation. You can find a silver lining if you look for it. Focus on those silver linings, work on seeking them out.
2) Face the obstacles confronting you. Nothing is insurmountable. You don't have to climb the mountain. Nowhere is it written that there's only one perfect way to get to the other side: find a detour, dig a tunnel, or if all else fails, use dynamite!
3) Accept responsibility for your failures. They are the rungs of a ladder you can use to climb to success. Use them to build your store of experience, then make use of that experience.
4) Accept responsibility for your successes. You will find there are far more successes than there are failures - take ownership of them and use them to stoke your motivation to achieve.
5) Learn. Read articles on self-improvement, talk to friends, listen to uplifting programs. Discover the 'tools' you can use to change your negative thoughts to positive ones. Find ways to give yourself positive feedback.
Practice being optimistic. Yes, practice is hard work. Playing the piano requires hard work and lots of practice. So does learning a language, or yoga, or math. And so does cultivating a positive attitude. Raise your awareness and seek opportunities to use and strengthen optimism within yourself.
Attitude is a state of mind. It will not change your life, but it can give YOU the power to change your life.