It's no secret that the weekends pose a big challenge for me in terms of keeping on track with my nutrition. BUT...as I approach this coming weekend, I will do it with a plan, and I WILL BE VICTORIOUS!
First, I must say a little about what I do good! All week long when the husband is at work and the kids are at school, I do great! I'm usually home all day long, Monday through Friday, during which time I don't usually feel much for temptations. I can eat several meals/snacks a day and stay within my guidelines with very little challenge. I can even plan outings and it still isn't an issue. One of my tricks for success in my personal journey is to eat what I would consider real food. I have started eating different, healthier alternatives to things, but I haven't given anything up. I just know that if I want something that I have to calculate it into my numbers. I feel it's important to not deny myself anything, because then I'll only want it more later. Also, I don't deny myself what my body needs. If I'm hungry, I eat!
For some reason, when the family is home on the weekends I have huge cravings. I wouldn't say that the cravings are for any specific food, but more of a craving to just binge. And it's not because I'm hungry...sadly the more painfully full I feel, the more I want to eat. I've gone through my cupboards and don't have much for junk food in the house, other than whatever the family manages to smuggle in. But, I find things that will work. I don't even really have to like these things, it's just the act of eating them.
As I've been trying to figure out why I do this I think I have it narrowed down to a few triggers.
1. Boredom-- When the family is home I feel that I can't go about my normal routine. It gives me the feeling that I'm waiting around for something and I get bored and antsy.
2. Change in eating schedule-- If we're planning a dinner out, I'll look ahead at the restaurant menu and will try calculating the numbers into my day. At times I have planned to eat really light through the day to allow the meal out.
3. Weakness-- While I am in control of myself, I admit that it's more difficult when everyone around me can munch endlessly.
4. Spark-- I feel guilty picking up the laptop for Spark Time when the family is here. They don't understand what motivation I get from the Spark World. So...I tend spend very limited time Sparking on the weekends with the exception of my nutrition tracker.
1. Boredom-- I plan to stay just as active on the weekends as I am during the week. I don't want to just sit around, and there is always plenty to do. Also, weather permitting I'd like to get my son out on the trail for some hiking or bike riding.
2.Eating Schedule-- I realize that it's a bad idea to try to limit what I'm eating throughout the day to allow for the meal out because I am only sabotaging myself and end up having the meal out on top of binging on junk food. I'm going to go about my weekend meals as normal and accept it if my numbers are a little higher with a meal out. It'll be considerably better for nutrition and will take a lot of pressure off the situation. Also, a bonus here is that I've gotten really good at making smarter restaurant choices!
3. Weakness-- This is a tough one because I am the one who is in control of my actions, I just have to be strong. I think I just need to ask myself before I eat anything..."Why do I want to eat?" "Am I really hungry, or does it fit into one of my trouble zones?" If there's not a good reason for me to eat something, then I'll drink water or coffee, get busy, brush my teeth, or get a piece of gum.
4. Spark-- While I will check into Spark World from time to time through the weekend, I also realize that I need to be able to do it on my own and can't rely on anything other than myself. I greatly appreciate how all my Spark Friends care about me though...you guys are the best, you really keep me inspired and motivated!!!
OK...I'm ready to take on this weekend! It feels really good to have thought about my triggers and to have a plan in place. I feel stronger! I feel like I have the tools that I need to keep doing what I do all week long! I feel excited! It's just another day in my journey!!!