The goal-setting bug is striking me early
Thursday, September 29, 2011
Maybe it's because my birthday is coming up. I am fast approaching my 50th year of life!
Maybe it's fall, and when the kids head back to school that seems like a natural time to set goals. I'm not sure.
But the goal-setting bug is biting me. I feel the need to set down in writing the things I want to accomplish in the next year. There will be sub-goals along the way, but for now, these are my major goals for the next year, the things I want to accomplish before my 50th birthday:
1) I will pay off my debt. (The sub-text to that is that I am looking for a second job, maybe a holiday job, possibly an extra roommate and there's belt-tightening ahead. But it can be done.)
2) I will complete my first triathlon.
3) I will complete my first half-marathon. (Gasp--I put this one in writing. That makes it real.)
4) I will organize/get rid of/simplify my stuff. Who needs that much stuff? Time to pare down.
5) I will maintain the weight loss that I've worked so hard to achieve.
Is that enough goals? These are big goals, but I believe they are all reachable. I started to phrase them as "I'd like to" and then realized that they need to be positive statements. I WILL accomplish these things. I WILL!