Freggie Dare Weekend Challenge Day 2 - Another Best Veggie Recipe
Saturday, May 19, 2012
Ginger Brussels Sprouts
from NPR and inspired by Chef Nobu Matsuhitsa
Serves 4 as a side dish.
2 pounds Brussels sprouts (or 2 tub containers)
1 carrot, finely julienned into 2-inch-long strips
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare large pot of salted boiling water and a large bowl of ice water.
2. Soak the sprouts in water for a few minutes. Then rinse under cold running water. Do not scrub sprouts.
3. Using a sharp knife, cut the base of each sprout and remove with your fingers the outermost 2-3 layers of leaves. Cut off more of the base and remove another 2-3 layers of leaves. Discard the remainder of the sprout. You will end up with a medium-sized bowl full of cupped leaves.
4. Drop the leaves into the boiling water for 30 seconds. Stir.
5. Remove leaves from pot and place them in the ice water for 30 seconds. Drain the leaves and pat them dry with paper towels.
6. Heat a large skillet on medium heat with the butter. Add julienned carrots, stirring frequently. Add sprout leaves and fresh ginger and saute for 2-3 more minutes. The leaves should retain their shape but be fully cooked.
7. Salt and pepper to taste.
This is a bit of work but I've made it many times and it is well received by anyone willing to try the much maligned brussels sprout.