Time Time Time
Sunday, March 24, 2013
I have way too much time on my hands with not enough to do to fill it in a meaningful way. I was reading last night about the development of addictions and the author (Calvin Miller) said that addictions form in lives that are not filled with other things. And this is so true.
I have very little to do. I knit. I am online, sometimes I write. and I do dishes and cook an occasional meal. That's it. That's almost the sum total of my daily experience. And as you can see, there is a lot of room in there to obsess about food. I am thinking way too much about it. (Even here....thinking about NOT thinking about it)...
If I am busy, I can go all day and FORGET to eat. If I have time on my hands, my thoughts are constantly consumed by what I will consume next. Enough Consumption!!
Now, I don't drive and I'm not physically able to work. I don't like computer games. What can I find to do?
1) I can write more.....and I can actually make an effort to get published.
2) I can clean out and organize the mess that is in this house.It is full of STUFF and very little of the stuff actually gets used. I need to divide stuff into "donate" and "pitch" categories and the "keepers" i need to make sure are put away in an appropriate place.
3) I can exercise more. Who said that my morning fifteen or twenty minutes has to be all I do? I can take walks once the weather improves.
4) I can spend more time reading.
5) I can do artwork. This is a great way to avoid eating and it takes up large chunks of time.
6) I can expand my prayer time and make it more focused.
7) I can consider running a Bible study group based on the "Made to Crave" books.
8) I can work on memorizing verses....This will not only give me ammo to use in times of temptation but it will occupy my mind in a positive way.
Maybe your problem is FINDING the time to live healthy. If so, I am jealous of you and at the same time I'm aware that I'm blessed with the gift of free time. I just have to find a way to keep it from becoming a noose around my neck.