Satisfaction and JOY--the long run destinations
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
How cool....and how affirming, to be voted as a featured blog post. HOnestly, there are a lot of other blogs I've written that I thought were better than yesterday's...but hey, I'll take it as I can get it!
I was reading an article on Spark recently--about making goals. And the writer said that he/she had made a list of daily goals for themselves and they rewarded themselves with stars as they accomplished the items....and for every hundred stars, they rewarded themselves. I thought that was a great idea. Because face it, I have goals that are personal....and which apply to me only....so the goal setting on Spark People is only partially helpful.
I made my list and I'm using asterisks as my "stars"....I have also been journaling about my journey....Keeping in tune with the "inner Cynthia" and trying to encourage her and discipline her and keep her motivated.
I'd lost 70 pounds here in 2010 and then steroids and illness kept me weak and unable to exercise as well as packing on the weight so that ultimately, I was ten pounds heavier than I was when I started in 2010.
So far I have lost 14 lbs. I'm using Dr Fuhrman's parameters although not using too many of his recipes as they are just too labor intensive and involve too much time standing....which I cannot do. Ive been making slow cooker soups. and salads. I was having problems at night because I have NOTHING of my own in the house to eat at night (which would be a good thing, except I was dipping into my husband and daughter's treats which would have caused problems ultimately). SO yesterday I made a tray of black bean brownies....which I think are yummy and my family thinks are disgusting....so that is safe. It won't be glommed by anyone else.
I've begun, tenuously, to exercise. I made it for 15 minutes on the recumbent bike yesterday. The day before I did 10 minutes and my legs were quivering like jello when I was done. I've gotten so weak! It's all I can do to make it up and down our flight of stairs. I've been using my forearm crutches when I go out as they are easier to load and unload from the car than is my rollator walker. It is unlikely that my exercising will ever bring me to the point of not needing walking aides....and that is because my problem is not muscular. It is that the joints in my ankles and knees are destroyed by the Rheumatoid Arthritis and the Psoriatic arthritis and the Sjogrens....and it is very painful to put any weight on my legs. But muscle strength is important and I need some of it to keep me from falling. It is especially important for me to gain core strength so I can get in and out of bed more easily and up from chairs.
Today I am making some short term goals:
1) Going to the doctor....bring baby carrots and filtration water bottle.
2) Wear knapsack so I don't have to worry about trying to hold a purse and a crutch too.
3) Exercise this morning. Do the five minute core video with the Swiss ball. and then do 15 minutes on the bike.
4) Check in with the RAD team
5) going out for dinner. Keep focused on my "WANT TO" and realize that nothing that I can put on my plate will give me a fulfilled "want to"....that will only come with numerous right choices and many goals set and accomplished.
6) Spend 15 minutes in focused prayer. Ask for God's strength and mindfulness of my goals for today. Help me not to fall for things that instantly satisfy. Satisfaction comes with work and time. And if I am continually diverted from my goal and from satisfaction, I will never get there. FOCUS. With every choice and decision I make ask myself...."will this bring me joy?" A Reeses peanut butter cup might bring some happiness but it can never bring me JOY. And JOY is what it is all about.