Friday was a busy day. DH had his blood work, then CT Scan. Then we saw his nurse & Dr's. He was somewhat dehydrated, so had IV. fluids. His Hemoglobin was only a 7, so Oncology Dr. wanted him to have a blood tranfusion. He said it wasn't a emergency, they would call our PCP here at home & have them make the arrangements at a hospital here. Now for the big news. Dr. Rini has taken John off the Sutent totally now. (the chemo pill he's been on for 27 months)
He said it's not working anymore. The CT Scan showed a little bit of enlargement on the kidney, He isn't worried about this, said it was going to happen at one point anyway, & it's hardly any thing. His side affects were really bad at this point. Beth, his nurse had told me on the phone that they were going to lower the dosage, but I think when they saw his blood work, the enlargement, plus how bad his side affects have been, Dr. Rini decided thats enough. Dr. has other options for DH. Here John has been on the Sutent 50 mg. longer then any other patient they've had.
He's thinking of another study, which he'd take this new pill (has numbers & abbreiation for the letters) 2 times a day, and we'd have to go to the Clinic once a week for 7 weeks, cause they're going to give him Immunotherapy, which would be done by IV. After 7 weeks, I think it's every 2 weeks or 3 weeks. Side affects are way less then the others. He won't get the hand & foot syndrome or the high blood pressure & some of the others he had with the sutent. Plus any side affects won't get as severe ! They gave is a bunch of papers about the new drug to read. I just have to sit down & do it.
I tell ya', this kind of blew me away. We never expected to hear all this. It was really overwhelming at the time ! We'll go over the papers and talk about it then decide.
Of course, I have to start worrying about the money. I figured it will cost us over $200 dollars out of pocket/month, which we don't have ! We pay a copay every time we go, plus pay to park, & that doesn't count the gas for each trip. Thank God we'll have a place to stay if we have early appointments. Oh I'll be robbing Peter to pay Paul ! Some bills will just have to get less or not get paid. John is my # 1 Priority !!!
This new treatment won't start till about the beginning of March. Dr. wants to give him time to really recuperate and give his body & mind time to heal ! AMEN to that !
He is feeling really pretty good now. Hopefully we'll be able
to get some stuff done here in the house before he starts the new regimen.
I just gotta' get over this darn cold/sinus infection. I will probably end up calling our PCP for an appt. on Fri. tomorrow. I feel like crap and when I'm like this I don't get much of anything done !!!
Well for now, all we can do is keep praying, blasting, & trying to keep a positive attitude !
& go with the flow ......................
KEEP SPARKLING !!!
Love ya', Flutterfli