"Go where you are celebrated--not tolerated. If they can't see the real value of you, it's time for a new start." Unknown
"The secret to surviving the cold is to put on enough layers that you can't fit through the door to go outside."
1. Where there's a will, I want to be in it.
2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.
3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
4. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
5. We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
6. War does not determine who is right -- only who is left.
7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
8. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
9. I didn't say it was your fault; I said I was blaming you.
10. In filling out an application, where it says, 'In case of emergency, Notify:' I put 'DOCTOR.'
11. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut and still think they are sexy.
12. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
13. I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.
14. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
15. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
16. You're never too old to learn something stupid.
17. I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
- From Clean Laffs
It's Buy a Musical Instrument Day! For those on the fence or dragging your feet, this is the day to get the instrument that lets your heart and passion soar. Or is just lots of fun to play. Go to a shop and try different instruments if you can't make up your mind.
--Bitcoin Pizza Day: commemorated by the cryptocurrency community for the first time cryptocurrency was used to pay for goods; from Checkiday: "On May 18, 2010, Laszlo Hanyecz of Florida posted in the bitcointalk.org forum, offering 10,000 bitcoins in exchange for some pizza, saying in part, "I'll pay 10,000 bitcoins for a couple of pizzas.. like maybe 2 large ones so I have some left over for the next day." His call was answered, and on May 22, 2010, he posted, "I just want to report that I successfully traded 10,000 bitcoins for pizza." A teenager named Jeremy Sturdivant, who went by "jercos" on the forum, sent Hanyecz two Papa John's pizzas, and received 10,000 bitcoins in return. Sturdivant paid about $25 for the pizza, and the 10,000 bitcoins he received became valued at $41."
--Canadian Immigrants Day: celebrates the Canadians that immigrated to the US and became citizens; a few famous folks--Dan Aykroyd, Samantha Bee and Joni Mitchell.
--Emergency Medical Services for Children Day: observed by the Emergency Medical Services community as part of their EMS week; the EMS for Children is an US federal health initiative with the aim to reduce children and youth disability and death by educating the medical services and providers about the special needs of children.
--International Day for Biological Diversity: an UN initiative to increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues; the health of the planet needs biodiversity for balance in its ecological systems.
--Harvey Milk Day: honors gay rights activist Harvey Milk, born May 22, 1930 in New York, who became active in San Francisco gay rights movement in the 1970's and he plus 2 others were assassinated by Dan White November 27, 1978; Dan White was convicted of manslaughter instead of murder due to the "Twinkies" defense.
--Maritime Day: recognizes and honors the Merchant Marines and the maritime industry; today commemorates the May 22, 1819 sailing of the American steamship Savannah from Savannah, GA on the first transoceanic voyage under steam power.
--Solitaire Day: holiday created to salute Solitaire as part of the Microsoft games package in personal computers.
--Sherlock Holmes Day: commemorates the birth of Arthur Conan Doyle, May 22, 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland; Doyle would meet his mentor Dr. Joseph Bell at the University of Edinburgh who became the inspiration for the Holmes character; Sherlock Holmes was first introduced in "A Study in Scarlet" in 1887; there would be 60 stories involving Sherlock Holmes.
--Vanilla Pudding Day: a familiar comfort food since the 19th century; evolved from custard in Ancient Rome; Jell-O introduced the first line of instant pudding in the 1950's.
--World Goth Day: a salute to the sub-culture known for finding beauty in the dark undertones of music, literature, and movies; the holiday started in the UK.