These calzones can be made from start to finish on the backyard grill.
You'll love the rich and creamy filling!
Grilled Vegetable Calzones
Minutes to Prepare: 10
Minutes to Cook: 25
Number of Servings: 4
2 red peppers, thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced in half
4 canned artichoke hearts, rinsed and quartered
3/4 cup 2% cottage cheese, drained*
1/2 cup chopped parsley or basil
8 ounces (1/2 pound) whole-wheat pizza dough
*To drain the cottage cheese, place it in a coffee filter and allow the liquid to drain off before using in your calzone recipe.
1. Preheat the grill to 375 degrees.
2. Place a grill pan prepped with nonstick spray on the grill.
3. Add the peppers, onion and garlic, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine the cottage cheese and herbs in a small bowl.
5. Raise the temperature of the grill to 400 degrees.
6. Divide the dough into four parts, and spread each piece on a cool baking stone.
7. Divide the grilled vegetables among the four pieces of dough, then add the artichokes.
(Note: Be sure to place the filling in the middle of the dough.)
8. Top with 2 tablespoons of the cottage cheese mixture.
9. Fold over the dough and seal the seams with a fork.
10. Mist the top of the dough with nonstick spray.
11. Transfer the baking stone to the grill, cover and bake for 20 minutes, or the calzones are golden brown on top.
12. Serve warm with your favorite tomato sauce.
Use any combination of veggies you prefer.
If you don't have a grill pan, use a foil packet instead.