Progress Being Made, but Oldest Sick Again (or Still)
Monday, February 03, 2020
The boys got well, but then the oldest became sick again early Friday morning. I'm not sure if the previous illness wasn't completely gone or if he got a new one because his immune system was lowered by the first. Either way, he has been home again since. I think I got it now, but without the fever, and/or my allergies are going crazy with the change in weather because my sinuses are super mad again, which causes pain everywhere in my head/face.
I'm going a little crazy trying to balance kids, pets, work, helping my stepdad, and taking care of myself. I feel like I'm never going to get a break.
I am making progress with working through my anxiety. Things are getting better with that, although still a significant battle, especially with not getting adequate breaks and with sick kids and physical pain (I spent all last week with neck/shoulder and other joint pain). I'm doing a few things to help with that:
* YouVersion Bible app anxiety or joy/hope devotional plans. I did one on my own and one with a friend.
* Being conscious of triggers and calming myself in the moment.
* Being aware of that initial darkening mood, tightening muscles, holding my breath, etc... and working to stop it in it's tracks by telling myself "It's okay" or "They're just thoughts" or "That's nothing to be concerned about."
* Taking 1-3 doterra Serenity softgels, it's got lavender and some other oils in it that promote calmness/relaxation in the body.
* Focusing on the one step in front of me, which I shared in my last blog post.
* Praying when I feel worry or anxiety wash over me.
* Setting my phone aside when I go to bed... yes, I have always gone to bed with my phone, and it had never been a problem, but I realize that lately that isn't helping me either. It's a hard habit to break too, but I've been doing it for 2 weeks now.
* Asking my brother for help and stepping back with things if I am able to... also a hard habit to break!
I'm realizing that I had begun to react to EVERYTHING that was different, sudden, or made me feel anxious and/or responsible when feeling empathy for someone else. I'm an empathic person, so even things that didn't bother me were being made worse.
I've been working on my breakfast but this week I have not done oatmeal and banana yet. I had a mini bagel and cream cheese this morning.
The next thing I decided to work on was water intake instead of changing my dinner. Water is super important and I don't drink even the bare minimum without prompting or tracking. I downloaded a simple app that is just for water and it reminds me hourly to drink water. This morning I didn't log water right away and it kept asking me if I drank any yet. It's kind of annoying but it works and it's pretty simple. I'm currently working on drinking the bare minimum of 8 glasses or 64 ounces a day. Then, I'll work up from there.
I'm hoping we can all get well and stay well, and that my stepdad doesn't get this crud.