This recipe incorporates protein, starch and veggies in one neat package!
You can use Red Bell Peppers if you enjoy that flavor.
Brown Rice is used for an added nutritional punch – I used Quinoa as I follow a Low Carb plan.
Minutes to Prepare: 45
Minutes to Cook: 35
Number of Servings: 4
4 large green bell peppers
1 cup of cooked brown rice
1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can diced tomatoes (with italian seasoning is better)
tomato sauce - enough to cover the bottom of a casserole dish
2 tbsp canola oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes.
3. Cover bottom of casserole dish with thin layer of tomato sauce.
4. Place in a casserole dish.
5. In a pan, add canola oil and sautee the onions until translucent (5-7 minutes).
6. Add minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Add the ground turkey and brown.
8. In a large bowl, combine the cooked ground turkey, brown rice, and diced tomatoes.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Scoop mixture into each bell pepper half.
11. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes.
12. If desired, uncover, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top, and bake an additional 5 minutes.
Your Spark Neighbor, Dolly