Time to get cooking at home! "Why?!?" you ask? Because cooking at home is an art that was once lost but is now making a come-back, thankfully. We all know how to cook by now... or at least... we should, and the benefits of cooking for yourself far outweigh eating out. Here are our top 5 reasons why you should get back in your kitchen and get to cookin'.
1. Economics. Home cooking can save you a small fortune, as you're not paying the cost to run someone's business. Even more so, depending on where you buy your fresh foods, you could be saving even more if it's local. You then also boost your town's economy by helping the local farmers. When it comes to produce, fresh is always better than canned or frozen, as you're not paying for the labeling and processing as well as the advertising for that product.
2. You have control over the taste and health of what goes into your body. You can greatly reduce your ingestion of contaminants, chemicals, fertilizers, hormones, antibiotics, bacteria, and any other unwanted additives or preservatives. You have control over the nutritional value as well as the cooking methods of your food. You can re-discover how delicious and exquisite fresh, whole food tastes when you add your own herbs and spices and customize it to suit your own liking. Experimentation is key when combining tastes you like and exploring which foods you prefer for you and your family.
3. Satisfaction guaranteed! Cooking to your own specifications has proven to have the same sense of satisfaction that one gets from exercise. By fixing fresh, whole foods at home, you can rest assured that you're doing something good for you and your family.
4. No will power needed. Are you trying to cut back on meat, salt, or desserts? Counting calories or carbohydrates? Maybe you're trying to eat more raw food or less fat. Whatever dietary goals you're trying to accomplish, cooking at home will make your signature dishes a lot easier to swallow... pun intended.
5. It's sexy and fun. There's nothing sexier to me than when I get home from a long day at the office and my husband is in the kitchen putting all his effort and love into a special meal that made him think of me. Then, the fun part comes in when the kids want to join in and you see those little fingers tearing up lettuce leaves or kneading some dough. Ahhhh... life's little pleasures.
Whatever your reasons may be, make them just that... reasons, not excuses. We should all enrich our lives by stepping back into that kitchen.