We hunkered down yesterday - pretty much all day. Little Daisy ventured out only 4 times all day long and she wasn't too happy about it. According to the news station this morning, the Twin Cities has just experienced the biggest April snowfall in recorded history and we are currently at the 10th highest winter snowfall. We have had 78.2" of snow over this winter, the record was 86.4. We may move up a bit because we are still expecting more snow overnight Wednesday night - although they are also seeing possible 60's by next week.
Tom is out clearing the driveway and making sure Daisy has a bit more room to do her business. She was not happy going out this morning and it took two tries before she had success. She just stands there and looks at me with such sad eyes.
This is what I saw when I opened the curtains in my bedroom this morning.
The snow is literally hanging down off the roof. It's like that outside my office window too. And Tom went out yesterday with the roof rake. I have lived in this house for 35 winters and have never seen anything like this.
This is my sitting area outside my dining room. The snow comes nearly up to the top of my little table and is well over a foot high on top of the grill and the outdoor storage box.
But on a happy note we almost have sunshine today which makes things feel a bit better. The snow has stopped and the birds were singing when Daisy and I were outside. And I can see some little rabbit tracks which has to mean they are ready to come out and search for food. Not sure how I'm going to handle those furry cuties when the gardens are planted - last year they ate almost all of my perennials right down to the roots. This year I am planting beans which I know they love. But that's a problem for another day.
I am in the Spring 5% Challenge and this morning we all received a very interesting email from our overall Challenge leader. I thought I'd address some of these questions in my blog today.
First she asks this question: Why do people join this challenge then refuse to participate? I'm sure everyone has their own reasons.
As we approach day 4 of week 2, I'd like you to muse with me. Notice I am asking in the first person so it becomes personal to you. There is need to reply to me.
1. Why did I join this challenge? For those who are experienced travelers, why do I return? I love this question. For me these 5% Challenges push me a bit more than I am able to push myself. We are a team and I want to be a contributing team member which means that I am more motivated to go to the gym, I try harder to get in my exercise minutes and I pay closer attention to the Living the Good Life activities. But mostly I love the team interaction - a group of people who are on the same quest as I am!
Think about Week 1:
1. Am I satisfied with my finish? Yes, I feel I did my best during Week 1 and was happy with my results.
2. Did I participate to the best of my ability? Absolutely
3. Did I read and take advantage of the fun activities my Leaders work hard to provide for me? Last week was a busy week for me so I didn't participate in as many of the activities as I would have liked. I will try to fit some of them in this week.
4. Did I read a blog, visit a page or send a Goodie to someone on my team? Yes to all.
5. How can I improve during Week 2, and 3, and ... until final weigh-in? I am much more motivated to fit in my exercise minutes and get myself up to the gym and I'm hoping that continues throughout this challenge. The one area that I would like to improve on over these next 7 weeks is meal planning and preparation. Finding a way to balance my nutrition needs with foods that my husband will also eat. If it were up to me, I'd be having salads and soup most days but that doesn't go over very well with him. He is willing to try new things so each week I attempt a new Spark recipe - some work, some don't. But I'm not giving up!
I'd also like to say how much I appreciate all our leaders. Our Teddy Bear leaders have been amazing with all their communications and encouragement. So I'm hopeful that I will succeed with my weight loss this time around.