Our challenge this week for BLC is to write a blog about why we started our weight loss journey. I’m going to shift it a little bit and blog about my reasons to keep going. I’m currently at 179.6, so rounding to 180, I here are 30 reasons to lose the next 30 pounds:
1. To improve my health. I’ve seen my mom struggle with weight-related health issues (arthritis, diabetes, hypertension, chronic pain, afib, etc), and I’ve seen how her struggles impact the quality of her life. I want to give myself the best chance to avoid those health issues.
2. I want to live my most active and most joyful life
3. I want to enjoy shopping for clothes
4. I want to hike up a mountain without stopping to catch my breath
5. I want to feel sexy and feminine and beautiful and fit
6. I want to wear a single-digit pants size
7. I want the weight number on my driver’s license to be true
8. As a public health professional, I want my appearance to show that I “practice what I preach”
9. I want to go on roller-coasters without fear of squeezing
10. I want to fit more comfortably in airplane seats
11. I want less elbow-bumping when sharing smaller beds with my husband. Maybe I’ll be able to stop pouring over AirBnB photos, trying to figure out if a “queen” bed is really a queen, or just a double or full!
12. I want to keep rewarding myself with non-food items, and feeling worthy of pampering
13. I want to show up for myself
14. I want to have more energy and more positivity
15. I’m enjoying trying new recipes and new healthy foods
16. I want to climb lookout towers, temples, and Dubrovnik stairs without huffing and puffing
17. I want to enjoy how I look in travel photos
18. I want to feel more self-confident
19. I want to give away my old clothes and stop storing multiple wardrobes of different sizes in my closet
20. I want to live longer
21. I want to have a stronger immune system and less risk from diseases like COVID
22. I want to look fabulous at my high school and college reunions
23. I want to “wow” my work colleagues when we finally go back to the office
24. I want to be an inspiration for my mom and my sister
25. I want to live more fully in the present, and to feel my emotions (rather than stuff them down with food)
26. I want visible arm muscles
27. I want to be strong
28. I want to stop letting my weight hold me back from trying new activities like scuba diving & paragliding
29. I want to be in the best shape of my life by my 40th birthday and beyond
30. I’m worth the effort, and I deserve it.
Some of these ideas are actually recycled from a blog I did 10 years ago, "70 reasons for 70 pounds". When I was thinking about this challenge, I re-read some of my gold blogs from the start of my time on Sparkpeople. It was neat to look back and connect with my earlier goals.
Also, I'm working on cultivating patience and trust in the process: